Saturday, July 20, 2002

I'm talking with my African princess right now, using ICQ pc to pc phone. This friggin' thing is incredible! It's 8:00 p.m. Friday in New Hampshire and 2:00 a.m. Saturday Eve's time in Durban, South Africa. We've been chatting for two hours and ten minutes!!! AND IT'S FREE!!!!!

Incredible.

Eve is 8204 miles away. That's 13203 kilometers or 7129 nautical miles from me, as the crow flies. You leave New Hampshire, hang a left and head east-southeast (104.9 degrees) for eight thousand four miles....can't miss it.

I love technology. It allows me to share my life with a person in another part of the world whom I normally would have never crossed paths with. It's awesome to listen to Eve and learn about her life in South Africa. Her accent is cool and she is so upbeat, funny and full of energy and zest for life. Tonight I almost convinced her that she could fly to Boston if she put her mind to it. I said, "almost." I think she's gonna trade that plane ticket in for a carton of cigarettes instead.

We discussed business ventures, sobriety, loathsome spouses, frivolous expenditures and world politics before I had to wave the white flag of surrender that it was way, way past my beddy-bye time. What a cool way to spend the afternoon, talking to Eve in Africa. I just think that is so, so cool.

I didn't even have time to tell Eve about my, "African Traditions" book that arrived yesterday. "Ashanti to Zulu" it covers, and it is has neat pictures in it. Actually, it is a childrens book, which was a bit unexpected (Amazon.com strikes again), published for young readers. I still like it though and it is spurning my already burning interest in Eve's culture, which I'm already learning is tremendously rich and diverse.

Nite, nite....
-Jeeem-

0 comments:

 
Web Analytics