Friday, October 09, 2009




Some unsolicited advice:

Never attempt to repair something while drinking alcohol....

More specifically, Beer Chang from Thailand (6.4% by volume)....








This is my wife’s good shoe.     

Mam and I were headed home on our motorcycle after a long morning shopping in Hat Yai.  We had just turned onto the kilometer long (0.62 miles) road bordered on both sides by a huge rubber tree plantation heading to Klong Tong Nûea Buddhist Priest Residence and Meditation Center, and our small village of Klong Tong Nûea, when suddenly a large tree branch fell directly into our path. 

Mam tried to react quickly but ended up over-steering and we crashed onto the dirt and gravel road.  We really weren’t going that fast since we’d just turned onto the road and were only in second gear, but the result was damaging all the same.  

Mam got pretty scunned up, and broke the heel off her right shoe.   I got the worst of it, gouging out a big hunk of skin and tissue from my left lower leg, which ended up pretty bloody. 

Once we go home and washed up, everything was okay.  Mam is still a little sore, but she’ll live, and me…I dressed my leg wound and I’ll live too.  

Once I recovered sufficiently, I cracked open a Beer Chang, followed by another and possibly even another and…well, who knows.   

Anyway, at some point I had the bright idea that I could fix that broken shoe so I grabbed the hammer, some super glue, a screwdriver and all the professional tools a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none like me would need, and this is the result…




Once finished I stood back to admire my work and…began laughing hopelessly.  In fact, I thought I’d never stop laughing. 

Once Mam came over to see what I was laughing at, she too began laughing.  If anybody had come around our cottage at that particular time, they surely would have thought we’d gone mad.  

Next time (should there be a next time), I’ll fix the shoe first, then crack open the beer to celebrate!

-Jeeem-





0 comments:

 
Web Analytics