Friday, April 15, 2011

Without a doubt, the Scottish accent is one of the most interesting and captivating.  I've found that it tends to be regional also, depending on where the person is from.  Some accents are definitely harder to understand than others.  

About three years ago I stopped at a small cafe in Hat Yai for some breakfast and grabbed a seat right next to the sidewalk.  While waiting for my meal a guy stopped by and sat down at one of the tables out on the sidewalk right in front of me...he was a foreigner so after a bit I decided to strike up a conversation.  

I said hello and asked him where he was from.  I wasn't prepared for the answer.  

Quite honestly I don't know what the hell he said to me in return, even to this day...and embarrassingly enough, I had to ask him several times to repeat himself, his accent was that thick.  But, to compound matters he was a stutterer.  A Scottish stutterer...who taught English at a local school in Hat Yai.  Now that, is one hell of a deal.  

I haven't seen him in a while as I don't really get into Hat Yai all that often now, but I recently saw this video clip online and thought I'd add it as sort of a memorial to all my Scottish buddies.  Make sure you let the thing fully load before watching it. 

Hope you enjoy it.  


Aye there Peter...if you're watching, that'll be five quid!
-Jeeem-

0 comments:

 
Web Analytics